Photography by Melissa Enriquez
” You’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret, all the best people are.” As I strolled through my backyard for this shoot, I couldn’t help but feel a little lost in wonderland. Maybe it was the colors, or the playful prints, or the green foliage, but I was channeling my inner Alice.
You are probably going to think I’m mad like the Hatter when I tell you it’s okay to mix prints like I did in today’s look. I know what you are thinking… How can you wear more than one print with out looking insane?! Well here are some of my tips for you to give it a try:
- Pick prints that are in same color family.
- Choose two pieces with the same type of print. For example two different florals.
- Pair two prints in different scales such as a small polka dot dress and a larger scale stripe coat.
- Use stripes as a neutral. Stripes can act as a neutral especially when in a basic color. They are a good way to ease into pattern mixing.
- Mix a printed accessory with a printed skirt or dress. Try leopard accessories since they are practically a neutral.
- Invert the same color or print.
I hope you give these tips a try. Mixing prints is not as hard or as crazy as it may seem!